[sane-devel] Fwd: unable to read device-id

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Mon May 25 13:07:22 BST 2020

Hi Miguel,

Miguel Silva writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I need a help to try fix my scan.
>
> In the begin i was capable to scan but something wrong happened.
>
> Now i can use the scan only out of gnome. I exit the session (logout) and
> enter in text mode (ALT + F2) and then i use:
>
>    scanimage -x 100 -y 100 --format=jpeg > image.jpg
>
> It's work!

Did you run that as root or as a regular user?

If you ran it as root, it's very likely a permissions issue and you
should ask what is needed to make things work for regular users on your
distribution's mailing lists/forums.

# Sorry, but I can't keep up with what all the distributions are doing
# in this area these days.  Eh, if someone here knows, feel free to
# chime in :bow:

> But in the gnome the scanner didn't work.

Could you be a bit more specific?  What application did you use?  How
did it not work?  As in, what did you expect to happen and what actually
happened.

> I attached some information about my system and the error message.

Thanks.  I gather that you are using the third-party epkowa backend with
a non-free binary-only plugin to scan with this device.

> My distro is Fedora 32 and i use Xorg because i couldn't compile my video
> driver.
>
> Thank any help,

Hope this helps,