[sane-devel] Part 2 of: how to configure/scan with an Epson Xp-4100 printer/scanner

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Sat Nov 7 23:32:31 GMT 2020

On 11/7/20 8:33 PM, Brian Potkin wrote:
>> - but now... the printer part does not work anymore. I have installed
>>    the Epson driver from their website, removed and reinstalled the
>>    printer, but nothing gets printed.
>
> Installing a vendor printer driver is likely the issue. See
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting

For me (I own Kyocera ECOSYS), standard Linux driver for printer didn't
work out of box (if printer automatically discovered and automatically
configured, it was accepting print jobs, but these jobs were never got
printed).

Proprietary driver worked for Fedora 29, but stopped working somewhere
around Fedora 30 or 31. Probably because Fedora has broken support for
Python 2, while proprietary driver used it, I didn't investigate too deeply.

I was able to finally get printer working by manually configuring CUPS
with installing PPD file, borrowed from the proprietary driver.

To get scanner working, I had to write sane-airscan :-)

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)