[sane-devel] Canon Pixma G3110 tests results

Augusto Fraga Giachero afg at augustofg.net
Thu Nov 12 18:04:20 GMT 2020

Hi,

I just like to report my experiences when testing sane with the Canon
Pixma G3110 multi-functional printer/scanner. When conecting via usb it
works perfectly after creating an udev rule allowing non root users
access it (VID:04a9 PID:183b).

After configuring it to access my wireless network (seems to be only
possible to do this with a Windows machine unfortunately) I tried
connecting via network though the pixma backend, but I couldn't make it
work. My computer is in a different subnet so I specified the scanner's
IP address:

pixma.conf:
bjnp://192.168.0.93

I know that this isn't a network problem because I can print normally
via CUPS using the same IP.

I read the sane-pixma man page and it says that Canon is dropping
support for BJNP and MFNP protocols, I think this may be the case with
this scanner, running avahi-discover on a computer connected to the same
network returns:

ep2s0 IPv4
  local
    Wokstation
      myrouter ...
    Website
      Router Admin Webif
      Canon G3010 Series
    _canon-chmp._tcp
      Canon G3010 Series
    UNIX Printer
      Canon G3010 Series
    PDL Printer
      Canon G3010 Series
    _privet._tcp
      Canon G3010 Series
    Internet Printer
      Canon G3010 Series
    Secure Internet Printer
      Canon G3010 Series

No _scanner._tcp entry, so no luck here.

Finally I got it working via network using the airscan backend:

airscan.conf:
[devices]
"Canon Pixma G3110" = http://192.168.0.93:80/wsd/scanservice.cgi, WSD

Hope this is useful to someone.