[sane-devel] [janitorial] Next release and "packing my bags"

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Nov 14 11:31:08 GMT 2020

Hi list,

First, the schedule for our next release.

Our previous one was on 2020-08-23, so in keeping with a roughly half
yearly release pace, I figured 2021-02-14, a Sunday, would be a nice
target date ;-)

I have created a 1.0.32 milestone[1] to organize the release and will be
adding merge requests merged to `master` and issues that have been
addressed since our 1.0.31 release some time soon.  If you're merging to
`master` from today on until the feature freeze, please add the 1.0.32
milestone to the merge request as well as to any issues resolved by the
merge.

Feature freeze is on 2021-01-24, which is when the milestone starts.
Code freeze is on 2021-02-07 and Release on 2021-02-14.

 [1]: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/milestones/5

Next, "packing my bags".

On 2015-09-11, I appointed[2] myself SANE Project Janitor.  That was 5
years, 2 months and 3 days ago.  Since our 1.0.31 release, I have been
thinking a fair bit about my involvement in the SANE Project and how it
is keeping me from dedicating time to other things I'd like to pursue.
I've finally made up my mind and will be leaving the project after the
next release.

# Probably on 2021-02-16 as that is 5 years, 5 months and 5 days after I
# appointed myself.  I have something with "special" numbers and on top
# of that five is pronounced "go" in Japanese, so it's "go, go, go" ;-)

If anyone is willing to step up as a next janitor of sorts or even just
as a kind of "release manager", I'll be happy to help out with getting
that person up to speed on things, insofar necessary.  If no-one steps
up, I guess it'll be up to the current project members to sort things
out amongst themselves.

In parallel to working towards the 1.0.32 release, I will be going
through the open SANE Project merge requests and issues assigned to me
as well as any open issues I authored.  I also have a few handfuls of
GitLab To Dos related to the SANE Project that I'll need to get Done.
I wish to leave the project responsibly and with a clean slate.

 [2]: https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/sane-devel/2015-September/033796.html

Hope this helps,