[sane-devel] Fwd: SANE project used for possible election fraud

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Tue Nov 17 12:24:32 GMT 2020

Hi list,

I got this in the mail this evening.  Sigh.
Not sure how to best respond.

Tyler Sharpe writes:

> Employees from smartmatic contributed code to add support for a scanner
> used by dominion to count ballots. I'm not that familiar with SANE but it
> looks like it would be a perfect tool to rig an election. the code changes
> are here but I'm not sure what they do:
> https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/merge_requests/12#note_139722740
>
> Let me know what you think.

To the best of my knowledge, those changes allow one to make a few
changes that affect how the scanner *hardware* processes the image
data before that data arrives at the SANE scanner "driver".
Whether any of that functionality is actually used is not something
that the SANE scanner "driver" controls.  This is controlled by the
software that uses the SANE scanner "driver".

@Tyler> Considering your GitLab and GitHub profiles, I don't think you
        have a lot to contribute to the SANE Project.  Therefore, I'll
        deny your request to join the project.
        Feel free to submit an issue[1] explaining in some detail what
        you intend to contribute if you still want to join anyway.

        [1]: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/ops/-/issues/new

Hope this helps,