[sane-devel] Rebase

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Thu Oct 1 12:39:21 BST 2020

Hi Ralph,

Ralph Little writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 1:47 PM Wolfram Sang <wsa at kernel.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralph,
>>
>> > I have an issue branch that now has conflicts with master.
>> > I have not had a lot of experience with rebasing, but I read somewhere that
>> > rebasing is not recommended if you have pushed changes to origin because of
>> > the dangers of someone else working on the branch.

ACK.  Only if you don't a farthing about the trouble you're causing
folks working off your published branch is it okay to rebase a branch
and force push.

That said, chances there are such people are slim :-)

>> I am still new to SANE, but from my Kernel experience:
>>
>> If you pushed a branch to the public and other people use the branch to
>> work on top of that, then rebasing is indeed a bad idea. If not, then
>> just rebase. Which branch is it?
>>
>> It is 264-canon-pixma-mx492-adf-issue.
>
> AFAICS I am the only one to work on this branch, so I suspect that rebasing
> will be OK.

I'd check with the pixma backend's new maintainer, hi Povilas!, and
Louis just to make sure but what is the argument for not wanting to
merge master into your branch instead?

BTW, I know for a fact that the old maintainer occasionally rebased.

> Just really looking for perspectives for the SANE project.
> I suspect different projects have views on this subject.

Hope this helps,