[sane-devel] Problem with new Canon iSensys MF746Cx

Kelly Price strredwolf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:53:32 BST 2020

I take it you're scanning text for OCR?

Consider it line art, and take some advice from Sean Michael Robinson
in the Cerberus The Aardvark Restoration Project.
http://momentofcerebus.blogspot.com/2017/02/paper-to-pixel-to-paper-again-part-five.html

In short:

* Scan in 24-bit color.  It doesn't slow it down.
* Set the brightness/saturation/contrast/gamma to the defaults, and
don't touch 'em.
* Force the scanner to not auto-adjust.
* Your PC is better at adjusting the color values and forcing it to
greyscale than the scanner is.

To which I add:
* ImageMagick and some shell scripting can bulk-process anything.

--
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
http://redwolf.ws