[sane-devel] Net Client Not Contacting Server

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 17:29:10 BST 2020

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 8:14 AM C. Cook <c.a.cook at quantum-sci.com> wrote:

> # cat /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/saned.socket
> [Unit]
> Description=saned incoming socket
>
> [Socket]
> ListenStream=6566
> Accept=yes
> MaxConnections=1
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=sockets.target

OK, here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial

...they suggest adding an entry for the saned-running user:
-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<---------

# Defaults for the saned initscript, from sane-utils# To enable under
systemd please read README.Debian# Set to yes to start saned under
SysVRUN=no# Set to the user saned should run
asRUN_AS_USER=saned[Unit]Description=saned incoming socket
-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<---------

Perhaps nominate/create a user at the server end to get scanner
privileges and include that in the saned socket conf. I cannot
remember what distro you are running, but on my Linux Mint here, I
have a saned user which is a member of the "scanner" group. Since I
have messed about with saned in the past I don't remember is that is a
default configuration.

I'm at work at the moment and I only have one machine to work with so
I cannot easily set up a test.

If this doesn't work for you, I will try to set something up at home
this evening.

Cheers,

Ralph