[sane-devel] Problem with new Canon iSensys MF746Cx

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Mon Sep 14 16:04:38 BST 2020

On Tue, 2020-09-08 at 06:20 +0200, Andrea Croci wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just installed a new Canon iSensys MF746Cx on Ubuntu 18.04 and
> can't get it to scan. It' connected over the network. I haven't found
> any driver or software for scanning on Canon's Website, so I was
> hoping
> I could do it with sane. I have read on the list of supported devices
> that the MF741/743 are fully supported by the pixma backend.
>
> So I activated the pixma backend in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf by
> uncommenting
> it and edited the /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf file by adding
> "bjnp://address.here:8612". Scanimage -L gives me this message:
>
> [bjnp] udp_command: ERROR - no data received (timeout = 5000)
> [bjnp] bjnp_init_device_structure: Cannot read mac address, skipping
> this scanner
> [bjnp] udp_command: ERROR - no data received (timeout = 5000)
> [bjnp] add_scanner: ERROR - Cannot read scanner make & model:
> bjnp://192.168.2.103:8612/timeout=5000
>
> Because CUPS adds the printer with the ipp protocol on port 631, I
> tried
> with other things as well (port 631, ipp protocol, net) but I always
> get
> the same error messages.
>
> My Epson WF7620 works great with both the "epson2" and the "epkowa"
> backends.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

defining the scanner in pixma.conf is normally not required. Can you
please check the output of the _scanner._tcp entry from avahi-discover
and check the port number mentioned there. If that is 8612 it could
work with the pixma backend.
Newer Canon scanners apparently no longer support bjnp, so the pixma
backend only works over USB.(_scanner._tcp refers to port 80 or maybe
443) If you have a newer sane version (preferably 1.0.31)  you can
probably use the escl backend.
/Louis