[sane-devel] Sandboxing scanner applications

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 19:51:09 BST 2020

On 18/09/2020 18:49, Alexander Pevzner wrote:
> I can imagine "mixed" installation, where SANE drivers come sandboxed,
> while simple-scan installed from a usual RPM or DEB package. This
> "legacy-way" installed simple-scan will not be able to access SANE
> drivers directly.

Mixing is no problem.

If on the system you have installed the RPM or DEB of sane-airscan (with
IPP Scan support), all SANE-using RPM- or DEB-installed applications use
it. So they all can scan on a Scanner Application, independent whether
it is sandboxed or not, as the when we sandbox a Scanner Application we
take care that it can communicate with the network, at least with the
involved services.

If we sadnbox the client, SANE-using application, we include the
IPP-Scan-supporting sane-airscan in the package and allow the sandboxed
application to access the network services needed to connet to Scanner
Applications. We need to provide all scanner drivers as Scanner
Application, as the sandboxed applications come only with sane-airscan
and not with full sane-backends.

    Till