[sane-devel] Sandboxing scanner applications

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Fri Sep 18 22:08:33 BST 2020

On 9/18/20 8:08 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> GTK portal "server" side (running outside the sandbox):
> https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal-gtk/blob/master/src/print.c
>
> Client side:
> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk3-High-level-Printing-API.html
I've briefly reviewed printer portal API, looking also here:

https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/portal-api-reference.html#gdbus-org.freedesktop.portal.Print

And see that printer API is quite capable, based on an abstract printer
model (as programmable object) similar to whatever defined by PWG and
used in IPP.

However, SANE abstract model of scanner was defined many years ago and
is a bit, well, outdated in comparison to whatever we have today from
PWG (IPP-scan) or from Microsoft/W3C (WS-SCAN), and these two models are
quite similar. For example, SANE doesn't provide a standard way to
determine if scanner has ADF, and if scanner can scan to PDF and you
need PDF, you still forced to obtain uncompressed image and then convert
it to PDF by yourself.

If I understood your goals correctly, you are now about to define and
implement portal API for scanner, which has some chances to be used for
years. I think when this API is being defined, it makes a lot of sense
to take existent PWD/WSD models into consideration.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)