[sane-devel] sane 1.0.31 backend version not supported lineart. Why?...

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Sun Sep 27 10:49:50 BST 2020

Hi,

I do not have any insight into the SANE architecture, but here are my thoughts for version 2 of SANE:

I like the idea of using a middleware.

Another approach could be to leave the lineart api at the backends, but replace the lineart emulation code in each backend by linking to a general library.

In both cases, additional parameters such as threshold could be helpful.

Some backends may have just copy/pasted the conversion code from each other and some may have there own code. so the general library should be parameterizable to emulate best the backends original behavior for maximum compatibility to the scan results, users are used to get.

So let SANE version 1 as is and maintain it in parallel. Bug fixes and new functionality state should be reflected in same minor version number, i.e. 1.0.31 should have the same functionality as 2.0.31.

-Ulf