[sane-devel] Toshiba e-Studio 2829A

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 15:00:03 BST 2021

On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 12:55:03 +0200
jsmeix <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:

> On 2021-08-05 11:59, Dustin Miller wrote (excerpts):
> > Scanner: Toshiba e-Studio 2829A, Vendor ID 08A6, Product ID 8058
>
> I didn't check any technical details for that device
> so the following is only some generic info:

DM: Thanks for your reply, Johannes.

> > * 3. Toshiba does have Linux drivers for this device on their
> > website, but those seem to be only for the printing function, which
> > works fine for me. (From the documentation, it looks like printing
> > should work for Windows, Mac, and Linux, but that scanning may be
> > limited to just Windows, at least in relation to the support that
> > they provide themselves.)
>
> For some generic background information see
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_buying_guide
> therein in particular the section
> "Printer plus Scanner all-in-one devices"

DM: This didn't provide a solution, but it did confirm my idea implied
above that, even though this is one device, the printer and scanner
parts of it are treated as separate devices when it comes to drivers,
setup, etc.

> > * 4. My ideal use case is to be able to scan via the network (LAN
> > and wireless). The device is directly on the network with its own
> > static IP address, which I can ping successfully.
>
> Perhaps your particular scanner is a sufficiently professional
> network printer scanner copier all-in-one device so that you can
> use it as described in the section "How to use a professional
> network printer scanner copier all-in-one device" in
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners

DM: This is probably the easiest/best route to try to get this working,
unless/until a developer comes up with a SANE backend for this device.
Thanks again, ---Dustin