[sane-devel] Toshiba e-Studio 2829A

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 10:34:31 BST 2021

On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 20:00:03 +0600
Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 12:55:03 +0200
> jsmeix <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
>
> > On 2021-08-05 11:59, Dustin Miller wrote (excerpts):
> > > Scanner: Toshiba e-Studio 2829A, Vendor ID 08A6, Product ID 8058
> > >
> > > * 3. Toshiba does have Linux drivers for this device on their
> > > website, but those seem to be only for the printing function,
> > > which works fine for me. (From the documentation, it looks like
> > > printing should work for Windows, Mac, and Linux, but that
> > > scanning may be limited to just Windows, at least in relation to
> > > the support that they provide themselves.)
> >
> > > * 4. My ideal use case is to be able to scan via the network (LAN
> > > and wireless). The device is directly on the network with its own
> > > static IP address, which I can ping successfully.
> >
> > Perhaps your particular scanner is a sufficiently professional
> > network printer scanner copier all-in-one device so that you can
> > use it as described in the section "How to use a professional
> > network printer scanner copier all-in-one device" in
> > https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners
> >
> DM: This is probably the easiest/best route to try to get this
> working, unless/until a developer comes up with a SANE backend for
> this device. Thanks again, ---Dustin

DM: Just a few notes here as a follow-up, in case it's helpful for
someone with a similar device. Based on the device's spec sheet, it
seems that it should be possible to use this method to scan to USB,
mobile, SMB, or FTP. In the multi-function printer's (MFP)'s display
menu for scanning options, there are entries for both email and mobile;
however, these are both greyed out and I haven't taken the time to
figure out why. Based on Simon's reply on this thread, for SMB or FTP
I'm guessing I would have to figure out how to set up an SMB or FTP
server on my computer and then figure out how to get the MFP to send
the scan result there. Toshiba doesn't provide much documentation for
the use of the MFP; it's mainly focused on installation of the drivers,
etc.

DM: Toshiba does have a Quick Start guide that includes a brief section
outlining the steps for scanning to USB, which I just tested, and this
method works, so that is what I'll use for now. There's a USB port on
the side of MFP's display panel area where you can attach a USB device.
A device formatted as NTFS won't work, but one formatted as FAT will.
You can adjust various scan settings via the display menu before
scanning. So I'm glad I've found a workable solution. Thanks, ---Dustin