[sane-devel] Release 1.0.33?

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Wed Aug 18 11:25:41 BST 2021

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for bringing up the release.

On 8/17/21 8:11 PM, Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
> OK, seems like we have an appetite for a release.
> Since this is the first time we have done this without Olaf, I suggest
> that we give ourselves plenty of time to figure out the ropes.
>
> I propose the following timeline:
>
> Feature Freeze - Sept 24
> Code Freeze - Oct 7
> Release - Oct 14

I propose that we omit code freeze stage on Oct 7 and instead start a
release branch at around that time. This way the master branch continues
to be open for changes and we don't need to hurry to do the actual release.

I also suggest that we do one or more release candidates. This way
significant issues can be caught before we release to the wide public.

My suggested timeline is this:

Feature Freeze - Sept 24
Release branch created, master is open for new changes - Oct 7
Release-candidate released - Oct 7
Either the final release or a next release candidate depending on the
number and seriousness of new bugs filled: Every two weeks after that

I can manage all the dance with the creation of release branches and
release candidates.

> This follows a similar timeframe to our previous release, but with a
> longer lead time to the start of the process to allow us to figure it
> all out. It also keeps the month dates similar to before.
>
> I will try to assemble the tasks in the meantime.
> If anyone wishes to take on any of the release tasks then feel free to
> step forward!
>
> From what I can think of from the top of my head:
> - Calling for translations
> - Building the changelog
> - Updating the PPAs and creating a 1.0.33 on sane-release (which I will do)
> - Creating a milestone on GitLab to assign all relevant issues/MRs to
> - Other things that I have probably forgotten about.

This sounds about right.

For the changelog I propose we adopt a tool like
https://github.com/twisted/towncrier which allows to build release notes
during the development process instead of scrambling to do that just
before release.

I would build the initial release notes before the release.

What do you think about the above?

Cheers,
Povilas