[sane-devel] Interactive use of scanner buttons

Perry Hutchison pluto at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Dec 4 02:10:01 GMT 2021

A data point:

The Canon MF4880dw -- a multifunction device with network and USB
interfaces -- has two buttons, labelled Scan->PC1 and Scan->PC2,
which seem as if they could be of interest to sane.  When I attempt
to configure one of those buttons using the front panel, selecting
"Network connection" (rather than "Off" or "USB connection") displays
"Connect computer" for a couple of seconds before redisplaying the
Off/USB/Network selection screen.  (Interestingly, selecting "USB
connection" does not require anything to be connected to the
scanner's USB interface.)

I haven't tried to figure out how the scanner determines that a
computer is connected.  There are in fact several computers on the
network, but none running any Canon software, which leads me to
suspect that -- before configuring the Scan->PC# buttons -- the
computer(s) to be used as destination(s) would need to be set up.
(I had hoped that the front panel configuration menus would allow
an IP address and port number to be set for each of the buttons.)