[sane-devel] User question: Canon CanoScan 3200F

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:50:27 GMT 2021

Hi,

On 2021-12-31 5:29 a.m., Dario Klenke via sane-devel wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to setup sane to use a canon CanoScan 3200F and was
> directed to ask my question here from the IRC channel. I am using a
> rasberry pi zero running Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) lite. I
> compiled sane from source. Output of scanimage --version:
> scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.32.227-5591; backend version 1.0.32.
> My scanner is recognized by lsusb and sane-find-scanner -v -v also
> shows the scanner but complains "Couldn't determine the type of the
> USB chip". Unfortunately scanimage -L cannot identify any scanners.
> Following a post on the cent-os forums that had similar issues that
> were resolved by installing the yum package
> sane-backends-drivers-scanners for the user in question I tried to
> look into whether I have the required backend drivers. The sane
> documentation lists the scanner as unsupported but says in the
> comments: "Actually this scanner is supported by the experimental
> cs3200f backend now".
> I could not find any files in the backends folder of my clone of the
> source code that contained the string cs3200f and I found an old bug
> report from the sane-backends ubuntu package that seems to confirm my
> fears about missing backends. It states: "However, the experimental
> CVS wasn't transferred over when they [the sane project] moved from
> CVS to git."
> Attached to this post was an email exchange from 2013 where someone
> from the sane dev team supplied a backup of the experimental backend
> and suggested a patch to /backend/Makefile.am and /configure.in to
> allow its compilation.
> Now this is where my attempts to resolve this myself kind of end. The
> structure of the Makefile in question seems to have changed too
> substantially since 2013 for someone with barely any C knowledge like
> me to apply the relevant changes.
> So, my questions: Am I even on the right track? Am I missing the
> cs3200f backend with my "naked" sane install from source? If not is
> there any other way to run the canon CanoScan 3200f with sane?
> Very happy about any and all feedback.
> Thank you and Best regards,
> Dario Klenke
>
> P.S.
> this is the email exchange i mentioned earlier:
> https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/sane-devel/2013-March/031124.html
> <https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/sane-devel/2013-March/031124.html>
>
> and this is the bug report from the ubuntu forums:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/738302
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/738302>
> various info output about my system if needed:
> https://gist.github.com/dklenke/b02e6349dcce2b5b6f4b9c9d13d0efc2
> <https://gist.github.com/dklenke/b02e6349dcce2b5b6f4b9c9d13d0efc2>

If you download the attachment here:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/attachments/20130327/d616faed/attachment-0001.bin,
...then rename the file to cs3200f.tar.gz you should find that it
contains the source you are looking for.

I will have a look at it later in the day but in the meantime you should
be able to check it out.

Cheers,
Ralph