[sane-devel] Sharing a network scanner thru saned

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Thu Jan 21 17:53:57 GMT 2021

Hi Thiago,

On 1/21/21 8:05 PM, Thiago Milczarek SayĆ£o wrote:

> |Note: The device does not work using escl.

Did you try sane-airscan instead of sane-escl?
(https://github.com/alexpevzner/sane-airscan,
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/pzz/)

> |Since we have 530 stores, I would like to configure only 530 machines
> (instead of 3000). So the idea is to install the Ricoh package on this
> "central" machine and share with the others.

Do you really need each of 3000 machines to have access to each of 530
scanners?

I guess, on each of the 530 stores you have one scanner and ~6 machines,
connected through the local network.

If you use eSCL protocol with the working backend, and client machine
and scanner are on the same LAN, typically no configuration is required;
scanner is automatically discovered by client computers via LAN.

So in your situation, it would be better to rely on automatic discovery
and configure 0 machines instead of 530 or 3000.

I'm also concerned about technical possibility for a single computer to
serve 530 scanners to 3000 clients. It can be quite noticeable load for
a single computer.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)