[sane-devel] saned/network scanner

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Tue Jan 26 17:12:23 GMT 2021

On 1/26/21 7:03 PM, Thiago Milczarek SayĆ£o wrote:
> I mean, by my understanding a frame could be also only RED, or GREEN or
> BLUE and
> in this case I need to create an image of this composition.

Only few drivers actually behave this way, and this is very unlikely,
that you will ever meet them in real life. You may almost safely assume,
that there are only two frame formats you will have to deal with:
SANE_FRAME_GRAY and SANE_FRAME_RGB.

> I took a peek at jfreesane project and converted it in the Java side,
> but I have noticed
> that all the code is on scanimage.c. Would be nice if there is a sane
> api to get an image
> in a specific format instead of a "raw" one.

In SANE, every driver implements the entire API. To add a function,
every driver needs to be modified. There is no common library.

 From another hand, if you need to feel Java image object with scanned
image, most likely it accepts uncompressed RGB/Grayscale in a format,
very similar to what SANE returns.

> I will follow up on that. Tried the software on an iPad but with no
> success (I don't own any other mac device). Will try VueScan.
> I have also contacted the company that provides the hardware for us,
> maybe they can help.

OK. Thank in advance.

BTW, it's hard to catch WiFi traffic between iPad and printer by
wireshark, running on 3rd machine. Basically, all WiFi unicast traffic
goes directly between two machines (through Access Point), and not
broadcasted to other members of the same network.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)