[sane-devel] Scanner works, but networking does not [SOLVED]

E. Liddell ejlddll at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 11 18:57:31 BST 2021

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 14:38:23 -0400
"E. Liddell" <ejlddll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think I see why I couldn't find any other descriptions of this problem,
> though:  the nature of the network configuration on this Pi.  It's
> hand-coded (not DHCP) and very minimal (/etc/hosts only contains
> the definitions for "localhost").  If I'd taken the time to fill out
> /etc/hosts and link "raspi2" and the hostname of the other machine
> to their IPs, the connection attempts might be succeeding.

A little further experimentation indicates that this was indeed the
problem:  saned seems to have an undocumented dependency on
being able to perform reverse DNS lookup on IP addresses.  It's
possible that this only happens if avahi and snmp support are not
compiled in.  Regardless, adding hostname and IP data for the client
machines to /etc/hosts caused saned to suddenly start allowing them
to connect.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

E. Liddell