[sane-devel] Issues with backend for Pixma TR4520

Jack Sanders jjacksanders at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 04:18:55 BST 2021

I'm a major beginner with networks and all of this, and the way to get this
scanner to function is beyond me.

This is the error readout after attempting to add the device directly to
the pixma backend config file. It's the only reaction I've gotten trying to
connect over wifi. Without listing the device in the config file, both
sane-find-scanner and scanimage -L run (both run as root) show nothing.
Error message below:

[bjnp] udp_command: ERROR - no data received (timeout = 5000)
[bjnp] bjnp_init_device_structure: Cannot read mac address, skipping this
scanner
[bjnp] udp_command: ERROR - no data received (timeout = 5000)
[bjnp] add_scanner: ERROR - Cannot read scanner make & model: bjnp://
192.168.68.110:8612/timeout=5000

Meanwhile, when connected by usb I get this readout in response to running
sane-find-scanner, which lists codes that correspond to what's listed on
the backend supported device charts for this printer/scanner model. Can't
parse what the "Pipe error" bit means. Feedback message below:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1854 [TR4500 series])
at libusb:001:005
could not fetch string descriptor: Pipe error
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

Any guidance on how to get it working would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!