[sane-devel] memory access error with sane on Ubuntu

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 01:10:37 GMT 2021

Hi Ulf,

On 2021-03-12 8:22 a.m., Ulf Zibis wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> Am 12.03.21 um 16:35 schrieb Ralph Little:
>> I have created this issue:
>> https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/issues/454
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ralph
>
> Great!
>
> Do you have time to figure out the bug cause and maybe provide a fix
> the next days? I would like to help with testing, if necessary.
>
> Otherwise, would you suggest to remove the PPA and reinstall Ubuntu's
> repo version 1.0.29-0ubuntu5.2?
> Or would you suggest to pin on 1.0.31 from the PPA?
> Do you have knowledge, if one of those versions would work. For me
> testing this is little complicated, because the machine is located at
> a client.

There is a fix for the SIGSEGV issue checked into a branch that you
might be able to try. I can positively confirm that the issue is fixed
on my scanner and I can scan properly. This was a proper bug that was
revealed by the 64-bit side of things.

I will not close the issue or merge the branch just yet. I noticed that
there is the odd stall in USB reading which means that I have to power
cycle the scanner to get around. I will try to figure out what is going
on there. It is probably unrelated to the issue above though.

Cheers,
Ralph