[sane-devel] I can test drivers for iSensys MF746Cx

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 16:40:24 GMT 2021

Hi,

On 2021-03-26 8:24 a.m., Swen Dietrich via sane-devel wrote:
> Hello SANE Developers,
>
> the list of backends said "Testers needed!" for my printer.
> I'm owner of a Canon iSensys MF746Cx.
>
> How can I help with driver development for this printer?
Usually, if the appropriate backend picks it up, testing merely involves
trying all of the available options.
Said support might be wrong (flatbed scan area for example) so we would
correct those things.
> The device was not connected to the internet yet and thus the
> factory-drivers are still installed on the printer.
>

>> Bus 003 Device 048: ID 04a9:27fa Canon, Inc. MF745C/746C
>> Device Descriptor:
>>   bLength                18
>>   bDescriptorType         1
>>   bcdUSB               2.10
>>   bDeviceClass            0
>>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>>   idVendor           0x04a9 Canon, Inc.
>>   idProduct          0x27fa
>>   bcdDevice            0.00
>>   iManufacturer           1 Canon
>>   iProduct                2 MF745C/746C
>>   iSerial                 3 <snip!>
>>   bNumConfigurations      1
This device is not listed at all on our "Supported Devices" page (based
on the supplied USB ids) so at this point I guess we don't know what
protocols are supported.
I see from a datasheet that this is a fairly new device, perhaps
released in 2019. Older Canon devices used MFNP and BJNP protocols.
However, IIRC, modern Canon devices are not and are instead using eSCL.

Cheers,
Ralph