[sane-devel] How to scan via WiFi over a LAN

Media Mouth communque at gmail.com
Sat May 8 23:23:59 BST 2021

> On May 8, 2021, at 2:38 PM, Ralph Little <skelband at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> no point changing the saned.conf on the client side.
> On the server, add 192.168.0.15 to saned.conf on a line on its own.

Ok so for clarity, some simplified IPs
Client machine (192.168.0.Client)
'dll.conf' the line "net" is commented out
'net.conf' has entry for 192.168.0.Server

Server machine (192.168.0.Server)
'saned.conf' has entry for 192.168.0.Client

> It's always frustrating trying to figure out when saned/net is not working.
> We should look at the server side since it looks like the client is doing the right things.
If I run SANE_DEBUG_NET=10 scanimage -L
The stdout hangs on the following Line:
[15:02:12.126561] [net] connect_dev: net_init (user=[ClientUser], local version=1.0.3)
for about 45 secs.
Does that suggest maybe the problem is `scanimage -L` attempting to communicate the wrong user name?  Or does that not matter?

> Firstly, are you sure that the server side is seeing 192.168.0.15 as the incoming address? If you are accessing it through PAT or NAT (like often from a VM), then saned is going to see your external address rather than your internal address.
> Just thought I would bob that in there, not to insult your intelligence. ;)
Thanks.  We're on a LAN with no VMs.

> Secondly, we can try to switch on debugging. When saned is running as a service it should be outputting diag to the syslog.
> We should be able to increase the level of that by editing the init line.
> On my system (which is Linux Mint 19.3) saned is kicked off by the init process and is listed in /etc/inetd.conf:
>
> sane-port       stream  tcp     nowait  saned:saned     /usr/sbin/saned saned
>
> Add -d10 to the end of the line and that should increase the verbosity of the output to the syslog.
>
> sane-port       stream  tcp     nowait  saned:saned     /usr/sbin/saned saned -d10
>
> Try to connect again, then check the bottom of the syslog.

Haven't yet tried the "-d10" debugging
But even before doing that, checking over syslog.  The following are the most suspicious lines:
"inetd[444]: sane-port/tcp: bind: Address already in use"
"saned[2038]: read_config: could not open config file (saned.conf): No such file or directory"
"saned[2038]: init: access by host ::ffff:192.168.1.182 denied"