[sane-devel] How to scan via WiFi over a LAN

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Sat May 8 22:38:51 BST 2021

Hi,

On 2021-05-08 2:13 p.m., Media Mouth wrote:

>> On May 8, 2021, at 1:27 PM, Ralph Little <skelband at gmail.com
>> <mailto:skelband at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have 192.168.0.15 in /etc/sane.d/saned.conf?
>
> Yes.
>
> Though I wonder if I misunderstood what `saned.conf` is doing.
> I thought for remote scanning it's in play server side, as opposed to
> client side.
> the LAN IP of the Client Machine would need to be what's listed in
> the /etc/sane.d/saned.conf file on the Server machine.

Yes, no point changing the saned.conf on the client side.
On the server, add 192.168.0.15 to saned.conf on a line on its own.

> In any event I've tested with Client IP in the Server
> Machine's /etc/sane.d/saned.conf
> and the Server IP in the Client Machine's /etc/sane.d/saned.conf
>
> No luck yet either way.
It's always frustrating trying to figure out when saned/net is not working.
We should look at the server side since it looks like the client is
doing the right things.

Firstly, are you sure that the server side is seeing 192.168.0.15 as the
incoming address? If you are accessing it through PAT or NAT (like often
from a VM), then saned is going to see your external address rather than
your internal address.
Just thought I would bob that in there, not to insult your intelligence. ;)

Secondly, we can try to switch on debugging. When saned is running as a
service it should be outputting diag to the syslog.
We should be able to increase the level of that by editing the init line.
On my system (which is Linux Mint 19.3) saned is kicked off by the init
process and is listed in /etc/inetd.conf:

sane-port       stream  tcp     nowait  saned:saned     /usr/sbin/saned
saned

Add -d10 to the end of the line and that should increase the verbosity
of the output to the syslog.

sane-port       stream  tcp     nowait  saned:saned     /usr/sbin/saned
saned -d10

Try to connect again, then check the bottom of the syslog.

Cheers,
Ralph