[sane-devel] Canon 4200F USB chip location

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 05:48:49 BST 2021

Hi,

On 2021-10-17 7:25 p.m., LUH LAH wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I recently acquired a Canon 4200F scanner and realized after extensive
> research that the USB chip couldn't be found. So, I opened up and
> de-soldered the mainboard RF shield/Heat Sink to find a bunch of
> chips.
>
> I've attached said images to this message.
>
> My question is, what chip is exactly for the USB port?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> -[K] IMSOASIAN

The scanner is not currently supported by SANE.
We do have a prior report from someone documented here:
http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/canon-4200f.html

However, I'm not aware of any active work on this machine.

The chip marked L6219DS appears to be a PWM motor controller:
https://www.allegromicro.com/-/media/files/datasheets/l6219ds-datasheet.ashx

The chip marked WM8196SCDS appears to be an ADC for the imager:
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/3efc5524-e7be-47c7-99d3-9d2c2ebaba01

There is a DRAM memory package:
https://www.esmt.com.tw/upload/pdf/ESMT/datasheets/M12L16161A(2R).pdf

The other chip is probably a microcontroller of some sort, which may
have an integrated USB port.

Unless you can identify the microcontroller, then analysis of captured
USB sessions using the Windows driver is what you have left.

I didn't get the images that you say that you have attached. They may
have been scrubbed in the submission process.
Perhaps you could reply to the list and myself with the attachment again?

Cheers,
Ralph