[sane-devel] Remove user authorization support from net backend / saned frontend?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Apr 8 14:19:11 BST 2022

>     Or, more likely: is that the same password the individual uses to
>     log into their system? Or to access their e-mail? Or (hopefully not)
>     their bank account?
>
>     That is why it is actually better to use no authentication, than to
>     allow weak authentication.

It would be unfitting & intolerant to deny weak authentication when
we are ignorant of local environments.

We don't know people's local subnets, firewalls, VPNs, local user
community of colleagues & co-residents & family, & their skill
levels (both admins to configure, & users who might [or not] have
skills to sniff packets, & what devices with sniffer apps might or
not be able to connect to subnets.

In ignorance of user environments, we should not force others to strong
or none by removing weak..  Just offer suggestions & examples at install.

Cheers,
--
Julian Stacey  http://berklix.com/jhs/ http://StolenVotes.UK
Kill / remove Putin to stop him killing & provoking world war.