[sane-devel] Scanner with IP on a different network

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 16:38:08 BST 2022

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 4:51 PM AG via sane-devel
<sane-devel at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:

> Thanks Ralph, I do not quite understand the technical explanation but I will try editing the pixma.conf file and see if that does the trick.
>
> Alf

Generally, many devices today use multicast dns (aka mdns, avahi,
zeroconf, bonjour) for _discovery_ of services on a network. This type
of discovery only works on the local (ip) subnet (there are
exceptions, but this usually requires setting up some sort of gateway
between two networks).

So while sane works nicely with an ip address or hostname as long as
you can reach it, discovery of services might not work outside of the
local ip subnet.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen