[sane-devel] Scanner with IP on a different network

AG alf_gon at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 17:52:34 BST 2022

On 4/25/22 17:38, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 4:51 PM AG via sane-devel
> <sane-devel at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:
>> Thanks Ralph, I do not quite understand the technical explanation but I will try editing the pixma.conf file and see if that does the trick.
>>
>> Alf
> Generally, many devices today use multicast dns (aka mdns, avahi,
> zeroconf, bonjour) for _discovery_ of services on a network. This type
> of discovery only works on the local (ip) subnet (there are
> exceptions, but this usually requires setting up some sort of gateway
> between two networks).
>
> So while sane works nicely with an ip address or hostname as long as
> you can reach it, discovery of services might not work outside of the
> local ip subnet.
Thanks Torfinn. The family home LAN1, 192.168.1.X, is connected with
gateway directly out to the public internet. The printer-scanner is
connected to this LAN and accessible from it. Then there is a separate
second LAN2, 192.168.0.X, with gateway out to the first LAN1 and the
Linux computer is connected to this second LAN and from there to the
Internet through LAN1.

I will try specifying the IP address directly in pixma.conf but it would
be nice if I could tell SANE to also search the 192.168.1.X range or,
maybe, it would be possible to set up a virtual (fictitious) IP address
in LAN2, say 192.168.0.333 which the router would convert and redirect
to LAN1, say 192.168.1.333.

I am just playing around with ideas because I am no expert with
networking or anything else. Until now I just connected the computer to
LAN1 when I needed to scan which is infrequently. If I can specify the
IP address directly in the pixma.conf file that would solve the issue
but I just like kicking ideas around and maybe learning a bit.

When I set up the printer part I just put the IP address in the printer
properties configuration and it worked right away. It would be nice if
the scanner part was just as easy.

Alf