[sane-devel] When to disable sane?

steve rinsler stevesr0 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 16:21:29 GMT 2022

Hi Ralph,
I guess I wasn’t very clear about my setup:
1. I have ATTEMPTED to disable sane on ALL computers by editing /etc/default/saved and /etc/initial.d/sane (RUN=no), but on TWO of the computers, saned STILL shows up as TWO processes in htop.  So, I would really appreciate advice on how to block saned from launching automagically.
2. The Brother scanner driver (brscan3) IS installed on all three computers.
Finally, I would like to try the init thing you mentioned; I would appreciate your instructions on telling init to listen on port 6566 and pass the connection to saned (when it is running).
Thanks again for input.
Steve

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Hi,

On 2022-02-26 16:23, steve rinsler wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  Please see my "BIG QUESTION" below after my responses (or just answer that - if it works, the rest won't matter.)
>
> The Brother device is attached by ethernet to my router, not directly connected to any computer.
>
> The computer that DOESN'T launch sane scans fine across the network.  So it seems that saned doesn't have to be running for scanning across the network to work.  I don't understand that, but perhaps the daemon not running doesn't mean that sane software isn't...
No, you don't need to run saned at all if Brother's backend can connect
directly to network scanners, which it can.
saned and the net backend are only required to connect scanners to
computers that cannot otherwise connect.
A common scenario is to make a USB scanner accessible across the network
to another machine.
All 3 of your machines should be able to connect to the Brother scanner
if it is reachable by network using the Brother backend only.
> On the one computer that scanning ISN'T working, I have configured the net.conf file with the ip address of the scanner twice without it do anything different.   First, I just used the ip address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and then "brother3:net1:dev0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx." (without quotes).  If another format is required, I would be grateful to have this described so I could try it.
>
> On the two computers that saned runs on (despite the settings in /etc/default/saned and /etc/init.d/saned), I note that there are TWO saned processes listed in htop.  When I kill one, both disappear.
> (antiX doesn't use systemd by default and I use SysVinit.  However, I can use sudo service start, restart and stop to enable and disable services - or /usr/sbin/saned to launch it.)
>

> (Note that one of these computers successfully connects and scans, while the other doesn't.)
>
> BIG QUESTION: How do I set up the init to listen on port 6566 and "pass the connection on to saned"?  I haven't heard about that and if you can explain it, it would probably save me hours of figuring it out.

I would shutdown saned on all the machines and concentrate on connecting
each PC to the scanner directly using the Brother backend.
in order to do that, you need to install the Brother scanner driver on
each machine.

Cheers,
Ralph