[sane-devel] Canon Pixma TS6420a works sane-backends

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 18:36:01 BST 2022

Hi,

On 2022-07-22 18:00, Alfred Ganz wrote:
> Ralph,
>> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 13:51:20 -0700
>> To: Alfred Ganz <alfred-ganz+sane at agci.com>,
>>   sane-devel at alioth-lists.debian.net
>> Subject: Re: [sane-devel] Canon Pixma TS6420a works sane-backends
>>

>> On 2022-07-22 11:43, Alfred Ganz via sane-devel wrote:
>>> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>>>
>>> This is just to report that after upgrading to
>>> 	sane-backends-1.0.32-6.el8.x86_64
>>> I have been able to scan with my new
>>> 	Canon Pixma TS6420a which runs under TS6400
>>> Since Pixma TS6400 is listed as not having been reported to work,
>>> here is one instance that seems to work.
>> Can you confirm which resolutions you tried and if you tried Gray and Lineart
>> modes?
>>
>> Also, could you confirm that the pixma backend was used? That would be part
>> of the device name, e.g. "pixma:...."
> Here goes:
>
> The device supports WiFi access, but I only use a local USB interface
>
> This is what the Prieview window frame shows:
> 	"Preview Canon PIXMA TS6400 Series:04A918D3_01D66D"
> and the interpretation is: idVendor idProduct _ iSerial
>
> This is what the xsane window shows:
> 	Flatbed (just this option)
> 	Color	(Color, Gray, Lineart)
> 	Full color range (only for Color and Gray, 10 different entries)
> 	Resolutions (75, 150, 30, 600, 1200)
>
> Of these I have scanned the following:
> 	Color: Full color range only, all resolutions
> 	Gray:  Full color range only, all resolutions
> 	Lineart: resolutions 150, 30, 600, 1200
> 		 resolution 75 reports operation canceled
> I am no expert at this stuff, so it is hard for me to say if what
> Lineart produces is what I should expect (the images look like the
> preview though).
>
> Hope this help, let me know if you would like more, AG

Thanks again for your report.
I have updated the description for this machine family along with your
report in functionality.

This issue in lineart I have seen similarly in an older machine, the
MX493. These machines do not support lineart directly bu are a
processing option in the pixma backend. It has some problems.

Cheers,
Ralph