[sane-devel] Epson Perfection V39 support with SANE

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:21:52 GMT 2022

Hi SANE community and developers,

I am here on Debian/unstable AMD64 with SANE v1.1.1 and have
sane-utils plus sane-airscan version 0.99.27-1 installed

Two scanners are out of interest to me for archiving important documents as PDF.

1. Epson Perfection V39
2. Canon LiDE 300

[1] and [2] says:

Model || Interface || USB id || Status || Comment || Backend || Manpage
============================================================================================================
Perfection V39 || USB || 0x04b8/0x013d || Unsupported || supported by
the epkowa backend plus non-free interpreter || epson2 || sane-epson2
============================================================================================================
CanoScan LiDE 300 || USB || 0x04a9/0x1913 || Complete All resolutions
supported (up to 2400DPI) || pixma (0.28.6) || sane-pixma

So the Canon LiDE 300 seems to work OOTB (out-of-the-box)?

In regards to the Epson V39 scanner which is my favorite (higher
resolution 4.800x4800 and looks more compact in size):
What does "supported by the epkowa backend plus non-free interpreter" mean?
How do I configure sane here?
What about sane-airscan?
I found some docs about Epson V39 and NixOS
Users here who run an Epson V39 in a Linux environment?
Any other help?

What user-space tools can you recommend?
xsane?
Alternatives?

Can you give me some debugging help - especially for the Epson V39?

Also, I am very open to hints of the topic "document archiving on Linux".

If you need further information, please let me know.

Thanks.

Regards,
- Sedat -

P.S.: I have some friends running Windows-7 in a Linux-VM and scanning
from this environment. I prefer Linux-native support :-).

[1] http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON
[2] http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON
[3] https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/321954/install-epson-v39-on-nixos