[sane-devel] Parallel port directio

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 16:09:34 GMT 2022

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 12:05 AM Gerhard Jäger <gerhard at gjaeger.de> wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> On 25.03.22 at 07:29 Ralph Little wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have been testing the plustek_pp driver with a machine that I have.
>
> Wow - never thought that anybody will ever use that thingy in 2022 ;)

I was surprised at how quick the scanner is, a Plustek OpticPro 9630PL and
it seems pretty reliable.
I was expecting it to be a bit flaky.

> > I was surprised to find that the Ubuntu package that I have uses the
> configure
> > option --enable-parport-directio.
> > This causes the libieee1284 library use in sanei_pp to be disabled, even
> though
> > libieee1284-3-dev is listed as a dependency.
> >
> > Is there any reason why we would do this in general?
>
> Think this is set since ages and has never changed. In the 'good old days',
> it looked to me that direct I/O works better on that Plustek devices...
>
> Anyhow. Disabling that as per default won't harm - IMO.
>
> > If I test with libieee1284 enabled, it works fine and device names are a
> bit
> > more sane (i.e. for parport0).
> > Also, access is available here when a member of the lp group. Don't need
> to be
> > root.
>
> Which is good ;)

I will raise an issue with Ubuntu to see if there is some merit in getting
the change and I will make the change in our PPA.
The test was primarily to see if my recent changes to remove the kernel
compiling mode of the plustek_pp backend hadn't broken anything.

> Thanks for testing,
>   Gerhard

Cheers,
Ralph