[sane-devel] [sane-announce] SANE Backends 1.1.1 released

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:45:32 BST 2022

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 4:34 AM Thierry Huchard <thierry at ordissimo.com>
wrote:

> Le 2022-03-29 10:10, Ulf Zibis a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > have you noticed, that the yet uploaded sources for the PPA havn't been
> > build? :
> > https://launchpad.net/~sane-project/+archive/ubuntu/sane-release
> >
> Hi
> We have the snapshots:
> https://launchpad.net/~sane-project/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git
>
> Thierry
>

> Yeah, I tried to sort that out over the weekend but ran out of time. It
was a bit of a frustrating experience TBH.
sane-git is running now and is up-to-date. sane-release is a bit different.
I keep getting rejections from the PPA servers because Ubuntu already has a
1.1.1 release in jammy-updates and when I try to upload a 1.1.1 to our
sane-release PPA, the server complains that they already have a 1.1.1 in
their primary repo but it differs from the orig tar that I'm trying to
upload, a bit of a no-no for reasons that I can understand.

Our PPA process edits the tar file to add an additional file so I cannot
upload that as 1.1.1.

I will do some research tonight to:

a) figure out why we need to add a "gitdescribe" file with the release
version in it.
b) how to upload a 1.1.1 release with a modified orig file, perhaps modify
the version to something like 1.1.1-1 or somesuch.

I already talked off-list with Povilas about this weird process whereby we
use git describe to determine the version.
I know that it already causes problems for us with release artifacts on
GitLab which won't build. We need a better process I feel, and one that
will also work for the sane-git PPA.

Cheers,
Ralph