[sane-devel] Canon Pixma 8600 testing

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 18:05:03 GMT 2023

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 9:59 AM Skip Egdorf <egdorf at cybermesa.com> wrote:

> I see that on the list http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html the
> Canon Pixma TR8600 series is listed as Untested and Testers Needed!
>
> I just picked up a Canon TR8620a to replace a broken HP and have done a
> few initial scans.
>
> The printer is on my home network, Ethernet connected. My desktop is
> Fedora 37.
>
> Xsane sees the scanner and I have done a few initial scans from it.
> Everything seems to work out of the box (well, the printing needs
> Canon's Linux driver, but that doesn't seem to be a scanner/Sane issue).
>
> Would you guys like me to any more rigorous tests? Do you have a
> standard test suite or something? I would be glad to help if I can.

That's great! Thanks for your report.

Some further information would be great:

- Which backend is being used to access the device? Perhaps let us see the
output of "scanimage -L"?
- If you are able to connect with USB, does it work and again, what is the
output of "scanimage -L" so we can see which backend is being used for USB:
it might be different.
- Does both the flatbed *and* ADF work for both USB and Network? We have
had instances with the pixma backend where data formats are a little
different between flatbed and ADF (ADF returns JPEG data whereas flatbed
does not). A bit bizarre I know. :(

Cheers,
Ralph