[sane-devel] ScanJet 4400c 1200 dpi IO error

Marco Moock mm at dorfdsl.de
Fri Sep 6 12:12:05 BST 2024

Am Tue, 3 Sep 2024 17:55:36 -0700
schrieb Ralph Little <skelband at gmail.com>:

> OK, I have not used this scanner before: I had to find a power brick
> for it. The results are not great TBH.
>
> In xsane, preview mode seemed to have trouble scanning at all. The
> carriage stalled and wouldn't move.

Normal, you need to interrupt it, then disconnect the scanner from the
power and connect it again. Then scanning works, but needs some time
until the scanner moves.

> Later, after some other scanning activity xsane/preview seemed to
> work OK. The calibration is pretty awful but I got an image.
> Perhaps in storage the carriage motor was a bit stiff.

I assume a general problem.

> Tried various resolutions in colour scan mode using scanimage:
>
> 75 - scans OK, but the image is a little light.
> 150 - seems to go through the motions, but the scanned image is blank.
> 300 - scans OK
> 600 - scans OK
> 1200 - starts to scan then gets the error that you reported.

> Are your experiences similar?

Yes, I can exactly confirm this behaviour and I don't assume this is
related to broken hardware.

PS: Thanks for testing and hopefully finding the cause. :-)

--
kind regards
Marco