[sane-devel] ScanJet 4400c 1200 dpi IO error

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 01:08:07 BST 2024

Hi,

On 2024-09-06 04:12, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am Tue, 3 Sep 2024 17:55:36 -0700
> schrieb Ralph Little <skelband at gmail.com>:
>> Tried various resolutions in colour scan mode using scanimage:
>>
>> 75 - scans OK, but the image is a little light.
>> 150 - seems to go through the motions, but the scanned image is blank.
>> 300 - scans OK
>> 600 - scans OK
>> 1200 - starts to scan then gets the error that you reported.

I have merged some changes that were submitted 4 years ago which
improves this backend considerably:
https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/merge_requests/853
The original MR languished in obscurity unfortunately. Apologies for not
getting on top of that.

The images are better and 150dpi now works. The general colour rendition
still isn't great but the scans are consistent and fairly crisp.
Preview seems to work consistently and I have not seen the crashing
behaviour.

1200dpi gets further but still fails eventually. Looks like a buffering
issue, because some data is received.
You are using Debian, but if it helps, our nightly GIT PPA snapshot
should contain the changes tomorrow morning, assuming it doesn't fail
(again): https://launchpad.net/~sane-project/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git

I will look into it further.

Cheers,
Ralph