[Showme-devel] Fwd: Julia for ARM

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Oct 14 13:02:42 UTC 2015

[re-sending the proper mail, not a month-old one]

Quoting Graham Inggs (2015-10-11 13:16:38)
> On 2 September 2015 at 15:40, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> Quoting Graham Inggs (2015-09-02 13:44:57)
>>> Do you mean a wishlist bug requesting an ARM build?
>>
>> Yes.  Or perhaps rather an important bug requesting build on any
>> arch: It is wrong¹, I believe, for a package to suppress build on
>> uncommon architectures without concrete reasons (e.g. ipossible
>> without ALSA which is inherently - the "L" in the name - Linux-only).
>>
>> Even packages that constantly fail their testsuite on some archs
>> should still continue to do so: Maintainers of build daemons may
>> choose to blacklist a package to save ressources.
>>

>> ¹ Arguably an instance of "we won't hide problems" that all Debian
>> members have signed into.
>
> I haven't had much luck convincing the Debian maintainer of this, see
> bugs #799036 and #799099.

Looks like only #799036 (against build-dependency openspecfun) is
stalling.

To repeat myself from IRC, I suggest to ask at #emdebian for help
convincing openspecfun maintainer - I believe the common approach is to
rely on buildd's to automagically skip packages failing due to porting
issues, but really the Emdebian guys (e.g. Wookie) knows better than me.

> Julia 0.4.0 has now been released [1] and includes better support for
> arm and ppc.
> I'll pursue this further once 0.4.0 has been packaged.

Your choice, but seems to me you need not wait to push the openspecfun
issue further: Perhaps you mean you've made your point and it wasn't
heard, and the new Julia release is an excuse to try convince adding
_specific_ known succesful archs - but IMO that sidesteps the issue of
thinking that each package needs to micro-manage arch support, and I
dearly recommend you to instead try get others to support your original
point instead.

> In the meantime, I have succeeded in building julia 0.3.11 on armhf by
> cherry-picking patches from 0.4.0 and pushing some of my own [2].

Cool!

> The build succeeded on a Jetson TK1 board [3], but currently fails on
> my LIME (not LIME2) board with 'g++: internal compiler error: Killed
> (program cc1plus)'.

If you've done it on an up-to-date pristine Debian Sid system, then it
would be good that you file a bugreport against gcc about that!

> I've made the source and binary packages available [4], and those who
> only want to experiment with the binary package can try the following:

Nice :-)

 - Jons