[Showme-devel] [Debconf-discuss] Batch of the Next Thing Co.'s C.H.I.P. computers on its way to DebConf!

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jun 29 21:20:45 UTC 2016

Hi Gunnar, Richard and Graham,

Quoting Gunnar Wolf (2016-06-29 22:22:41)
> I'm very happy to inform that the Next Thing Co. hasshipped us a pack
> of 50 C.H.I.P. computers to be given away at DebConf! What is the
> C.H.I.P.? As their tagline says, it's the world's first US$9 computer.
> Further details:
>
>     https://nextthing.co/pages/chip
>
> All in all, it's a nice small ARM single-board computer; I won't bore
> you on this mail with tons of specs; suffice to say they are probably
> the most open ARM system I've seen to date.
>
> So, I agreed with Richard, our contact at the company (Cc:ed on this
> mail) I would distribute the machines among the DebConf speakers
> interested in one. Of course, not every DebConf speaker wants to
> fiddle with an adorable tiny piece of beautiful engineering, so I'm
> sure I'll have some spare computers to give out to other interested
> DebConf attendees. We are supposed to receive the C.H.I.P.s by Monday
> 4; if you want to track the package shipment, the DHL tracking number
> is 1209937606. Don't DDoS them too hard!
>
> So, please do mail me telling why do you want one, what your projects
> are with it. My conditions for this giveaway are:
>
> - I will hand out the computers by Thursday 7.
> - Preference goes to people giving a talk. I will "line up" requests
>   on two queues, "speaker" and "attendee", and will announce who gets
>   one in a mail to this list on the said date.
> - With this in mind, I'll follow a strict "first come, first served".
>
> To sign up for yours, please mail gwolf+chip at gwolf.org - I will
> capture mail sent to that alias ONLY. Do not reply to all! Do not spam
> the list! (unless you have any questions on this regard; for any
> questions, I'll be happy to reply to all).

Wauw!

I think it would be _very_ interesting if we could get hold of one or
two of those to test it with the ShowMeBox project!

@Graham, Bernelle: Do you agree? If so, please stand in line or put on
your karate belt or whatever it takes... ;-)

@Richard: Perhaps ShowMeBox is interesting to your company as a concrete
demo for you to brag about that your computer can do.  If so, please
consider speeding up our integration by sponsoring a few devices to
other ShowMeBox developers that sadly could not attend Debconf this year
- Kristoffer in New York, Vasudev in Bangalore, Siri and me in Denmark.

Also, when we have streamlined getting ShowMeBox to run on C.H.I.P., the
path is very short to also get Sugar running as another showcase - since
I am involved in setup of both those projects as so-called "Debian Pure
Blends", using same "Boxer" deployment tool.

 - Jonas

https://wiki.debian.org/ShowMeBox

https://sugarlabs.org/

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends#PureBlend