[Showme-devel] Experiments with ShowMeBox images

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Mar 20 02:50:52 UTC 2016

Hi Kristoffer,

Quoting Kristoffer Rose (2016-03-20 01:57:24)
> Finally I got well & a US power adapter for the Lime2[1]!
>
> I just updated the box repo today.

Great - all of above :-)

I updated your update: I believe your need for 110V power adapter does
not apply in South Africa. Bernelle/Graham please tell if correct about
that.

Good that you noted it in any case.

> I could install the "Manual" install all the way to reboot...but then
> I get
> * a login: prompt where I do not know the root password.

As I recall the configuration is set to not use a root password: Log in
as the user you created, and then use sudo (not su) to switch to root.

> * a blank screen for X (so only VTs work).

That sounds bad.  Did you install stable or testing?  Might be that
stable does not work and you need to install testing instead.

> I am now trying the "Non-interactive" as that will presumably allow me
> further without a root password :) so far it actually stopped at one
> question: the 'http proxy' value.

Simply hit enter to not use a proxy.  Or alternatively, create a file
local.conf containing a single line like this:

http_proxy = http://127.0.0.1:9999/

> P.S. Two Sigma is still on board for being a sponsor if we can find
> the meaningful local counterparts.

Great!

> Jonas, we should communicate on what you think the status is of Beaker
> vs the alternatives! --K

I have failed to find anyone willing to help package the needed parts.
Several have showed interest but then not delivered. :-(

I have not given up yet (and consider doing all of it myself, but am
worried that is not a reliable plan long-term, and also my knowledge on
java is quite limited so for java library dependencies in particular I
would dearly love others better qualifies to help.

 - Jonas