[Soc-coordination] Preparing a press release

Gintautas Miliauskas gintas at akl.lt
Wed Aug 9 00:47:46 UTC 2006

Hello,

> We would like to start preparing a press release about Debian
> participation in Google Summer of Code. Could the mentors and students
> please provide status updates?

I hope a short description will do.

My work is on a centralized repository of l10n for Debian.  I have been
collaborating with the Wordforge project [1].  They already have tools
to deal with translations: .po file parsers, serializers, merging
mechanisms, etc.  However, the interfaces of the components are not
very clearly defined and not always straightforward, and there are few
abstractions, which I am trying to address with my work on a more
consistent API for translation storage.  The components are also
heavily filesystem-oriented, which poses some scalability problems, so I
am working on an alternative backend based on a relational database. I
have also been working on an implementation of the API that wraps
Wordforge's tools, so that Debian can use their web-based translation
system Pootle.

Although direct applications are not the main goal of my project, I
have been working on bridging code with the Debian Descriptions
Translation Project (DDTP).  Currently DDTP only has an e-mail based
interface.  I also intend to deal with translations of Debconf
templates automatically, although this may have to wait until after the
deadline while I wrap up the API and finish with documentation.

[1] http://www.wordforge.org

--
Gintautas Miliauskas
http://gintasm.blogspot.com