[Soc-coordination] debian-images-generator report for May 26, 2006

Carlos Parra carlospc at gmail.com
Fri May 26 20:03:40 UTC 2006

  This is the first report of debian-images-generator project. First, thanks
to everybody that it's helping me and the ones that are answering all my
questions: My mentor Steve McIntyre, Baruch Even, Raphael Hertzog, ...

  Second, i didn't selected Debian organization just for work in this
project for summer, i've been interested in became a DD for a long time and
seems that this summer i will have some packages to mantain:
debian-images-generator and may be some python libraries that i'm going to
use. Anyway, all my efforts will be focus in debian-images-generator to
finish before the deadline, and after that, i will continue maintaining the
project.

Things that have been keeping me busy this days:
 - The original name of the project was debian-cd-ng. Now, the name of the
project is debian-images-generator, it's larger but very descriptive.
 - Wiki page created: debian-images-generator [1]. Currently, points to the
old one but i will update it soon.
 - Requested an alioth project. I asked for a subversion and also for a
list.
 - Also, i've requested access at my university to have access to non-i386
architectures because i just have i386 machines in my home/work and it will
be helpful to test the first images generated...
 - Before i got accepted i started working in the config parser, i will
upload the code soon. Thanks to Sergio Talens for recommend me ConfigObj
[2].
 - I've been testing python-apt libs and i'm a little worry about a warning
that it shows when you import "apt":
     /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/apt/__init__.py:17: FutureWarning: apt
API not stable yet
       warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)
     Traceback (most recent call last):
 - Moreover, i've been testing debpartial-mirror as Gustavo Franco points me
in the old wiki page [3] of the project but it seems that it is not what i
looking for. I'm thinking that debian-images-generator just have to know
about the URI of a valid mirror, the user has to be responsible of providing
that mirror (locally or external). I don't think that the task of generate a
mirror should be inside debian-images-generator.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/debian-images-generator
[2] http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/configobj.html
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/debian-cd-ng

--