[Soc-coordination] Re: Deciding on our applications

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sun Apr 8 08:09:51 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 01:06:35AM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> So I'm left feeling the overall ranking is not optimum, but not at all
> sure what might be done about that, or whether others would agree.
> Is this just me and my pet project, or do others agree?

CD, embedded and i18n all seem worth a slot in principle, but as someone
who's not familiar with those areas in detail, I'm not sure how valuable
the projects are, or how likely they are to succeed.

Also, according to gstein of google, the overall failure rate of projects
in GSoC is about 15% (about 1 in 7), while Debian's failure rate last
year was 40% (4 in 10). So I figure we should be focussing on making
sure we've got really good/dedicated mentors for the projects we end up
picking this year.

Cheers,
aj