[Soc-coordination] Re: Org Allocations & Allocation Criteria

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Apr 10 04:07:19 UTC 2007

(Note: soc-coordination is a public list for Debian's, uh, SoC
coordination)

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 02:56:09AM -0000, LH wrote:
> We've heard great things from several orgs about the high quality of
> the applications they've received, so we've decided to increase the
> number of student applications we'll accept to 900.  I know a few
> organizations have asked for more students and we'll see what we can
> do; to be clear, though, we've already increased the number of student
> projects we'll fund, so major changes are unlikely.

> Here's the preliminary # of students allocated per organization.
>      debian:  9

Is there any chance we could swap the 9*$500 org payments for Debian
for an extra $4500 student slot? In spite of four of our students not
finishing last year, all our mentor payments came through so that seems
feasible from a Google budgetting point of view.

I guess we'd really love it if the easter bunny hid another couple of
projects somewhere and we could have 11 or 12 projects, but any extra
ones we could wrangle by whatever means would be really great.

(I have to say I'm really confused at the way allocations have turned
out; I was expecting us to do better than last time based on the extra
applications we'd received and the extra slots available, but that
didn't happen; then expecting us to be doing worse off than comparable
organisations possibly because we'd not gotten enough passing students
last year, but that doesn't seem the case either; so my next best guess
is there's two rules for orgs: ones that have done really well in the
past get whatever they ask for, and the rest of the slots get distributed
amongst the other orgs proportionally, and Debian just hasn't made it
into the upper tier yet)

Cheers,
aj