[Soc-coordination] Project Report: BitTorrent Proxy for Debian Archive

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 02:39:14 UTC 2007

Hello fellow SoCers,

I am a student accepted by Debian for this year's Summer of Code. My mentor has
asked that I periodically update this list with the status of the project. I
know it's still early, but a good start is important. ;)

So far, this project has already seen a lot of discussion and planning, which is
good because the project is quite complex, and the goals are not very well
defined as a result. So far this discussion has resulted in:

* a project/program name: debtorrent
* a project setup on Alioth, including:
   * a website: http://debtorrent.alioth.debian.org
   * a subversion repository: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debtorrent
* a wiki page for ideas and proposals: http://wiki.debian.org/DebTorrent
* a wiki for the proposed protocol: http://wiki.debian.org/DebTorrent/Protocol
* an IRC channel: #debtorrent on irc.oftc.net

Some recent discussion has focussed on the two important infrastructure
requirements to create a BitTorrent-like download: a tracker and an initial
seed. A DNS alias (dttrack.debian.net) has been created for the tracker, which
will currently point to a personal machine for testing purposes, but can
eventually be updated to a more permanent home. Initial seeds will also have to
be run personally in this early stage.

I have also started a blog that I will be using to describe my work on this
project (and possibly other things). You can find it on planet.debian.org or here:

http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~camerond/personal/blog/index.html

My plan for the next couple of weeks is to further refine the proposed protocol
and implementation steps, and maybe even jump into some early coding.

Thanks for reading,
Cameron