[Soc-coordination] DebTorrent: Interim Period Report

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 06:15:09 UTC 2007

Hi SoCers,

It's been more than 6 weeks since my introductory post to this list about my
Google SoC project, DebTorrent: the BitTorrent proxy for downloading Debian
packages, so an update is probably overdue.

(If you missed my intro post you can find it here:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/soc-coordination/2007-April/000142.html
)

A lot has happened in that time. I began coding with earnest, and have already
had 2 Alpha releases of the code for my project. Since the project started with
the already-working code for the BitTornado client, it has been relatively easy
to modify the code in incremental steps so that there is (almost) always a
working version available in the repository. This makes it easy to test to make
sure new features are working and haven't broken something else.

Some of the desired changes to the BitTorrent protocol have already been
implemented, including variable-sized pieces and the ability to use APT's
Packages as torrent files.

Now I am working on what will probably be the hardest task to complete before
the midterm evaluation: integration with APT. Unlike my work so far, this will
require all new code, as there is of course nothing in BitTorrent for this.
Also, APT is probably my weakest area of understanding for this project, as I am
very familiar with the BitTorrent end of things. Still, I am confident I can
have it ready on schedule.

If you want any more information on the project, everything you need to know is
on the home page (which I just updated) at:

http://debtorrent.alioth.debian.org

Happy Coding,
Cameron