[Soc-coordination] Bug Triage and Forward Tool project summary

Gustavo R. Montesino grmontesino at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 02:28:33 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I would like to make a small presentation about myself and the project
I'm going to develop on this summer of code. The full text of the
proposal which was sent to google is available on the debian-project
list archives.

First of all, I would like to thanks the Debian Project and Google for
this opportunity. For me, one of the coolest things about GSoC is that
it allows the students to learn a lot. So, if anyone has any
suggestions, opinions or whatever, please say it :)

About the bug triage and forward tool, it's a tool (written in Python)
to help to triage Debian bugs. I'm developing it with two main things in
mind:

1. Make it easier for non-techie contributors to help with basic triage
of bugs.

2. Facilitate forwarding of bugs to upstream developers, as AFAIK there
aren't software helpers for doing that.

For the GSoC project, the tool will have a pyGTK interface and will be
able to interact with bugzilla as upstream BTS. I hope to write a
console/curses interface and help anyone interested in getting support
for their upstream after the GSoC is over.

Initially, I'm going to develop this project as three separate
codebases:

* btsutils: Python module to interact with Debian BTS / Debbugs servers.
* ?: Python module to interact with Bugzilla
* bug-triage: the tool itself.

These three are going to be developed on the bug-triage alioth project.
The source code is hosted on git.debian.org, where initial code can
already be found for the btsutils[1] and bug-triage[2]. There are also
two mailling lists, bug-triage-devel at l.a.d.o for technical discussions
and bug-triage-commits at l.a.d.o which receives notifications of commits
on the git.d.o repositories.

[1] git.debian.org/git/bug-triage/python-btsutils.git
[2] git.debian.org/git/bug-triage/bug-triage.git

That's all for now.

Regards,

--
Gustavo R. Montesino