[Soc-coordination] How's everybody doing?

Jeroen van Wolffelaar jeroen at wolffelaar.nl
Sun Jun 10 23:37:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 09:41:51AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> I've seen a few initial reports from students so far. Is everybody
> happy? Please try and keep us informed of how things are going for you
> - this is meant to be a community effort rather than just a set of
> standalone projects... :-)

I've just blogged, should appear on planet Debian any time now:
http://jeroen.wolffelaar.nl/blog/debian/2007-06-gsoc-start

Mon, 11 Jun 2007

  Summer of Code

   June is the last month before summer holidays, and at this phase in my
   study, courses take a lot of time: practical assignments, seminars to
   give, multiple exams. And mid-June, I'll be attending [1]DebConf in
   Edinburgh, including delivering a talk about [2]Mole, the subject of
   [3]my Google Summer of Code project.

   In the period of April/May students participating in the Summer of
   Code project had the time to get more familiar with the project they
   were going to work for. Because I'm already somewhat familiar with
   [4]Debian, I opted to organize [5]an Etch release party together with
   some friends, because, well, what better way is there to get to know
   the community?

   During the past two weeks I've been really starting with the project.
   I updated the [6]wiki page, added a new [7]development page where I
   keep track of my work - listing the subtasks I'm working on and their
   status. The first month will be mostly work on the internals, but
   starting with the second month I'll also be working on the web
   interface, meaning that there should be some stuff to show off.

   At the moment I'm refactoring some bits of Mole that are currently
   implemented in a hacky way, in order to make it all as extensible as
   it should be. This includes defining a config file format for mole
   tables, so that it's no longer necessary to modify the python code for
   new tables. It also involves some better way of stacking tables to
   each other, so that the package file extraction code can be moved away
   from the core of mole into a separate worker - to keep mole itself
   pure and simple - and generally applicable.

   I'll post irregular updates to [8]my blog. I'm looking forward to
   seeing a lot of you again this Thursday, when I'll arrive in EDI!

   posted at: 01:29 | path: [9]/debian | [10]permanent link to this entry

   [11]RSS feed -- [12]Debian RSS feed -- [13]My homepage