[Soc-coordination] How's everybody doing?

Ian Haken melknin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 04:36:42 UTC 2007

I haven't said anything on this list yet, so I thought it was about time I
threw in my own updates.

I'm working on the automatic upgrade testing suite project. The initial
proposal for this project focused on using QEMU, but I have plans in my
to-do list (as a focus towards the latter part of summer) to allow other
virtualization backends, such as Xen and kvm.

In spirit of this, I chose the name Virtual Live OS Upgrade Testing Suite
(vlosuts). This encompasses both the desire of have no specific backend in
the title, and to emphasize the concept that this suite allows you to test
upgrades of a live running system (as opposed to running in chroot). Alioth
project (vlosuts.alioth.debian.org) and svn (svn.debian.org/wsvn/vlosuts)
have been setup.

As for progress on the actual coding, the full preliminary system is in
place now. The scripts build an image (using a list of packages or by using
package priority), launches the image in QEMU, and performs and upgrade. I
was previously struggling with figuring out libapt to go through the package
cache, but looking at some source of packages that use it has been useful.

The system is still rather basic in how it performs the upgrade, the
flexibility in building the image, and of course it only uses QEMU at
current. One of the big next steps will be setting up the image builder to
create foreign images. After all, one of QEMU's great features is the
ability to emulate a variety of architectures.

Whew, maybe I should do updates more frequently in smaller doses. Anyway, I
hope everyone is doing well with their projects!

Ian Haken