[Soc-coordination] Mentoring Offer

Erich Schubert erich at debian.org
Wed Mar 12 18:04:52 UTC 2008

Hello Cameron,
> I too was thinking about mentoring this year. I looked at the wiki,
> but I don't see a list of mentors, only admins and project proposals.

Just go ahead and put up projects you find interesting and add yourself
as possible mentor like I did for SELinux and Debtags.

> Is it required to have a proposal to be a mentor?

No. It just makes it much more likely a student will submit an
applications well-suited for mentoring by you. Most of the submissions
are refined versions of the proposals listed on the web page.

> Also, I am not yet a DD, though I am at the DAM approval stage (I
> would hope to be a DD by summer, but we'll have to wait and see). Is
> it necessary (or recommended) to be a DD to be a good mentor?

No; all you need to do is be a good mentor. :-)
Well, you probably shouldn't mentor something touching the internals of
some part of Debian you don't know; but there is no reason to have a
formal requirement such as being a DD.
DD status is more of a trust thing for uploading; and even here there
are efforts that allow uploads by non-DDs (so called "Debian
Maintainers") these days.
Most GSoC projects will not be uploaded into Debian before the end of
the summer; many affect existing packages that can/should be uploaded by
the regular maintainer or stuff that is not a package itself (e.g. web
site enhancements, tracking tools, ...)

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
   erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org)    --    GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
          There are only 10 types of people in the world:           //\